When it comes to taking Delta-8 THC, it can be a little intimidating to find your “perfect dose.” For most people, the sweet spot is usually around 20-25mg of Delta-8 THC, but it takes a bit of trial and error to see what works for you. The most important rule of thumb is to always start off small and gradually increase your doses over time. But what happens if you get impatient and consume too much Delta-8 THC in a single session? Is it possible to get too high? The answers to these questions and more lay within the following paragraphs. Keep reading to see what we recommend in case you happen to consume more Delta-8 THC than you should have!
Can I Get Too High on Delta-8 THC?
Delta-8 THC skyrocketed in popularity as a way to enjoy a smoother and more subdued high than traditional marijuana. But just because the high is less intense doesn’t mean that you can’t consume too much in a single sitting. Delta-8 THC is a psychoactive cannabinoid and bonds with your body’s endocannabinoid system to deliver a powerful high. This high offers a dreamy euphoria and intense relaxation for many users, but taking too much can have less than desirable side effects.
What's worse is that the negative side effects can creep up on you seemingly out of nowhere, even if you’re initially enjoying the effects. This is why manufacturers urge you not consume more than the recommended dose. If you have a high tolerance to THC, it might be tempting to double or even triple the recommended dose. Even if you think you might not feel anything initially, it’s important to be patient. Allow your body to react naturally before consuming a high amount of Delta-8 THC, regardless of the type of product you’re taking.
Can I Overdose on Delta-8 THC?
Consuming copious amounts of Delta-8 THC is wildly unpleasant, but does not carry any life-threatening issues in the sense of narcotic overdosing and the other dangerous drugs. There are side effects with any cannabinoid, and the negative side effects from too much Delta-8 THC are far less worrisome than taking too much Delta-9 THC (weed). The most common side effects of Delta-8 THC are dry mouth, dizziness, drowsiness, red eyes, and other minor effects. These effects are often treated by laying down or drinking some water throughout the high.
A Delta-8 THC high can last anywhere from 4-12 hours, depending on the type of product consumed. If you take too much Delta-8 THC, it’s possible that the high might even last longer! There aren’t many scientific reports that go into explicit detail about what happens when you consume too much of this cannabinoid, so it’s difficult to pinpoint exactly what happens. In the following paragraphs, we’ll outline some of the negative side effects of consuming too much Delta-8 THC
What Exactly Are These Negative Side Effects?
The intensity of a Delta-8 THC high depends on both the user and the product consumed. The high from a Delta-8 THC inhalable is usually quick in terms of the onset of the high as well as how long it lasts. The high brought on from a Delta-8 THC edible is often the most intense, as your body takes time to process the cannabinoid via digestion. Edibles are also the most tempting to eat a lot of because of their soft texture and sweet flavor, but inhalables can also pose a problem if you take too many hits due to worrying if you took enough. Here are some of the most common negative side effects.
- Intense Mind/Body High: Most Delta-8 THC products will give you some sort of deep relaxation, but taking too much can result in extreme couch-lock. You’ll feel too heavy to move or unmotivated to get up at all, even if to just go to your bed. You may feel a numb tingling that can leave you feeling immobile, almost as if you were in a trance.
- Cotton Mouth: One of the most common side effects of Delta-8 THC is a dry mouth that will leave you feeling thirsty. Consuming more than the recommended amount of Delta-8 THC can leave you feeling perpetually parched, even if you’ve just drank a glass of water. You may have difficulty swallowing or feel like your tongue is firmly cemented to the roof of your mouth.
- Dizziness and Imbalance: Delta-8 THC can deliver a unique type of mental fog that still allows you to remain clear-headed and in control. When you consume too much Delta-8 THC, this mental fog can intensify to the point where you may feel disoriented and dizzy. It’s never recommended to drive or operate machinery while under the influence of a Delta-8 THC, as it can impair your judgment and delay your reaction time. But taking too much Delta-8 THC can make it difficult to walk straight or even remain upright while standing
- Heightened Paranoia/Anxiety: This is probably the worst side of all the side effects. If you already struggle with anxiety and paranoia, Delta-8 THC can be a great way to leave your worries at the door. But taking too much Delta-8 THC can actually amplify your anxiety and paranoia to uncomfortable levels. You may feel worried and afraid to the point where you cannot
- Inability to Fall Asleep: Some users report that Delta-8 THC has helped them focus and become more creative. Unfortunately, high levels of Delta-8 THC can leave your heart and mind racing despite feeling drowsy. You may feel unable to fall asleep and lie awake for hours despite already being in bed.
How To Deal With The Negative Side Effects of Being Too High
If you find yourself under the influence of more Delta-8 THC than you can handle, there are some things you can do to help ease the intensity of your high. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that these effects are not permanent and will eventually pass. Freaking out while you’re too high can be terrifying and will only make the negative effects worse. Check out some of these tips to help calm your mind and march on through your high.
- Keep that bottle/glass of water handy. That cotton mouth side effect we mentioned early can exacerbate your paranoia. Drinking water can help give your mind some much-needed refreshment as you battle the negative side effects.
- Go lie down. If you’re feeling nauseated and dizzy, it can be difficult to pay attention and focus on simple tasks like sitting upright or walking straight. Once you’re safely in your bed, you may be able to relax.
- Cuddle! Whether it be your partner, your pet, or even your pillow, hugging something can help you feel safe again. Embrace your cuddle-buddy for at least 20 seconds, release, breathe deeply, and repeat.
- Talk yourself through the high. Whether you’re with a loved one, a group of friends, or even by yourself,
- Embrace the munchies. Even if you’re not craving something sweet, eating something can wake up your taste buds and help you sober up. Your favorite snacks, fruit, or candy can help deliver the sugar your body needs. Just make sure they don’t contain any THC!
- Take a shower. Showering is one of the underrated pleasures of the world. A hot shower can help you relax, especially if your sense of touch is off the charts. A cold shower can help you wake up and feel stronger. Just make sure you’re able to stand upright before hopping in.
- Get your mind off being too high. If you struggle with overthinking, anxiety, or paranoia, try to find a way to distract yourself. Try going for a walk, doing some light reading, listening to your favorite music, turning on the TV, or switching on your gaming console. Find something to help avoid getting lost in the overwhelming effects.
- Information overload. Whatever you do, don’t hop on the internet and search what happens if you get too high. Your mind is already in a sensory and mental overload. Reading about effects you may not (and probably will not) experience can drive you even deeper into your high.
- If you have any CBD handy, now might be a good time to use it. CBD can help decrease the effects of the high, but you’ll need to be well into your high in order for this to work. If you take both at the same time (before you’re too high), you might actually increase the possibility of getting too high due to what’s known as the entourage effect.
- Be mindful for next time. If you normally take 25mg of Delta-8 THC and this time you took 50mg, now you know not to consume so much in your next session. You might need a bit of a hiatus to overcome your trauma of taking too much Delta-8 THC. If you do decide to give your favorite product another go, make sure that you stay within your limits. It’s also possible to consume too much Delta-8 THC if you were too impatient. With inhalables especially, it’s easy to wonder if you consumed enough and start taking deep hits in hopes that the high will kick in faster. The key to enjoying Delta-8 THC products is patience.
Should I Even Take Delta-8 THC Products?
Ultimately, the only person who can answer this question is you. If you’ve been scarred by the overwhelming effects of marijuana, Delta-8 THC might be an attractive alternative. If you’ve tried CBD products and are looking for a more heady experience, once again, Delta-8 THC might be an ideal incorporation. It’s always recommended to talk to your primary care physician before consuming any Delta-8 THC product. If you do choose to consume this intriguing cannabinoid, be sure to outline what you’re looking for: a deeply relaxing high, a mental booster, a way to relax before bed, a means to perform more mundane tasks like housework and tasks you’ve been putting off, etc.
Also decide the type of product you intend to consume. Edibles are great for beginners as they require no additional hardware and are often flavored to enhance the taste. If you have experience with smoking or vaping, inhalables might be the way to go. Inhalables are also great because the high starts within minutes but only lasts for an hour or so. Some inhalables like Delta-8 THC flower and vape cartridges will need some sort of external hardware (battery-powered vape pens, grinders, empty cigarette cartridges/rolling papers, lighters, etc.) to use.
Hopefully this article has given you a lot to think about. Finding your ideal dosage will take a good deal of trial and error before figuring out the amount that works for you. Patience is key when it comes to knowing how much to consume; always start with the recommended dosage or slightly lower. Taking too much Delta-8 THC can destroy your high and ruin any enjoyment you may have initially had. The term “overdosing” doesn’t really apply to Delta-8 THC the same way as it does with narcotics and other dangerous drugs, but consuming more Delta-8 THC than your body can handle can have unpleasant side effects.
If you do end up consuming too much, you can always consult the information outlined in this article as a means to calm yourself and power through the unpleasant side effects. If you’re not sure which Delta-8 THC product to choose, head on over to our selection of vapes, tinctures, gummies, and softgels to see which enticing product can bring you the relaxing and euphoric high you crave!
Leave a comment